My original purpose of this blog was to keep track of all of my "Things To Do" before my life expires. You know... stuff to do before you kick the bucket. Well people - here's my Bucket List or shall I say "Tabo" List. You only live once, so don't think twice. In addition to my "Tabo" List, you'll find me sharing how it's like to live the life of the wonderful share-bare. Happy Reading! ENJOY!

(inspired by the 2007 movie, The Bucket List )

1.) Pet a Tiger Cub
2.) Hold and Wrap a Snake Around Me
3.) Raise Money for a Good Cause

4.) Run a Half Marathon
5.) Run a Full Marathon

6.) Attend an Oprah Winfrey Show

7.) Meet Drew Barrymore in Person

8.) Go Dog Sledding in the Colorado Mountains
9.) Get Rock Hard Abs

10.) Write My Own Book and/or Sitcom

11.) Be in a Professional Photo Shoot
12.) Compete in a Bus Surfing Contest
13.) Step Inside of Grand Central Station in New York
14.) Cross the Golden Gate Bridge by Foot
15.) Adopt a dog named him Chaw-Lee <--I mean, Bam

16.) Learn to Swim so I Can be a Surfer Chick

17.) Enjoy a Special Brownie

18.) Hale Down a Yellow Cab
19.) Lie in a Hammock with Someone Special
20.) Apply for a Library Card
21.) Get a Black Belt in Kenpo Karate
22.) Get Kissed by a Hottie on New Year's (Strike of Midnight)

23.) Learn to be a Voice Over Artist
24.) Attend a Superbowl Game
25.) Sing the Song 'Killing Me Softly' at a Karaoke Bar
26.) Go Skinny Dipping

27.) Be on T.V.

28.) Go White Water Rafting in the American River
29.) Run up the "Rocky Steps" of the Philadelphia Museum of Art
30.) Marry Mr. Right

31.) Work Out So Hard That I Puke
32.) Go Stand Up Paddle Surfing (or Hoe he'e nalu) somewhere tropical

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Library Evolution

A couple days ago, I visited the San Mateo Public Library for the very first time. My first visit was quick. I was dropping EJ off there to do his homework and report on Native Americans. The library consists of three floors. Automatically, I thought luxurious. Only because I was comparing it to my childhood library: Daly City Public Library at Gellert Park. Inside San Mateo Public Library, I was in complete Ah! This place is ridiculously insane. I made it a point to stop by the next day and get a complete tour of the library for myself. It has been more than a decade since I've been inside of a library. It's been since Middle school since I actually studied (or at least attempted to) inside a library. I dropped EJ off once again after school. Once I got off work, I headed to the lovely library. A few things I observed: - A bunch of computers! - Self Checkout stands - Automatic Book Drop Box - Cafe on the 3rd Floor - A lot of lounge chairs - A lot of laptop ready desks One thing I was totally baffled about was the Cafe. It was located literally INSIDE the library. Is that allowed? I thought people aren't allowed to bring food or drinks into the building? Anyway, EJ and I were kind of hungry and craving a snack. We took the elevator up to the cafe and ordered 2 Cup O'Noodles. I asked the cashier, "Is it OK to eat inside?". She replies, "Yes, you can eat anywhere in the library." "Thank you", I said. But inside I was like dieing!! What?! People are allowed to eat INSIDE the library now? That was unheard of in my childhood years! I had a huge grin on my face. YAY! I can eat inside. I still can't believe it. Back in the day, we'd have to sneak in our chips and soda in our backpacks or else we'd get kicked out. Talk about ghetto, right? Man, kids these days are terribly spoiled. If they only knew the stuff we went through when we were their age. [sigh] So with me all amazed and all, my goal is to get a library card. Tabo List Item #4! For all of you reading, it must be simple and easy, right? Not for me. I'm too scared. Have you ever received delinquent notices from a library for an un-returned book? I have. I have a feeling I'm still banned from any library located in the San Mateo County. Call me crazy, but you never know!!! But back in the day, probably when I was in 4th grade one of the twins, Ling borrowed my library card to check out Madonna's biography. I should have never trusted her with my library card. I had a good clean record!! I always turned in my books on time. Anyway, months went by. I assumed that she would turn it in. Nope! I get a little postcard in the mail stating that I never turned in the book. Now, this book was a hardcover, with thick white pages, colored photographs and huge! I'm thinking great! This book must be expensive. I contacted Ling and she said she turned it in. I know she was lieing. I would pray and hope that the library would just forget about it and do without Madonna's book. My prayers were not answered. Every month, I'd get a friendly postcard from the library. And every month, the late fee would accumulate! It was to the point where I actually got a bill to pay for the damn book plus late fees and interest. The bill was over $300! Insane, right? I wanted to cry. I was too scared to tell my mom or dad about it. So every day from 4th to 5th grade, I would beat my parents to the mailbox. If a notice came from the library, I'd tear it up and toss in the garbage. So there, that's my history with Daly City Public Library. I wonder if I'm still in their system. I wonder if I can once again apply for a library card. Probably not. I'm probably just over-reacting with all this. But dude you don't understand. $300 is alot of money for a freakin 4th grader! I was traumatized! You also have to understand it was hard to suppress this inner guilt I had inside. Just think this was a decade long fear of mine. It was blocked from my train of thought which helped me forget. But ever since my visit to the library this week, my mind all of a sudden triggered this fear and is now resurfaced. It's an unsettling feeling deep down inside. It's very hard to describe. I guess you can say that I have librarycardphobia. It's a stupid fear. As a youngin, I thought I'd get arrested if a librarian recognized me as the girl that never turned in the damn Madonna book. No wonder why I hate Madonna...it was probably because of this whole incident. Who knows... One day I might just be brave enough to do it. It's easier said than done though. Until then, library card will just be Item #4 on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment